Share this...

Friday, February 18, 2011

Approaching five...

Momma Notes:
Today is a beautiful, warm spring-ish day here in the Philadelphia area.  On days like this the writing bug hits and I'm pushed outside to my covered patio to soak in the sun and fresh air with Elebelly and the dogs.  In fact some of my best writing to date has come from my patio table; oh the joy of being a laptop owner!

The purpose of this post is not for me to brag about when and where I get to write.  It's about Elebelly.   

She's approaching five!

I cannot believe we're here; her fifth birthday a mere three months away.  It gets me thinking about the Dr. Seuss book, Oh the Places You'll Go.  Elebelly has just been such an amazing blessing and taken Cranky Geek Daddy and I places we never even thought we'd go...places of joy, personal challenge and personal triumph.  It's amazing how one little person can make an adult so humbled and teach them so much.  

Over the last four point seven five years I've truly been reminded what matters most.  

FAMILY.  HEALTH. CONTENTMENT.  

Whatever family means to you is something very personal and it varies from person to person...can even mean something different to you and another blood relative.  But it is the single most important thing in this life.  Your family of relatives and friends will get you through the lowest points of your life and be there to celebrate the highest points with you.

Health is vital.  
Without it, our bodies fail us and the saying "You get back what you put in" reigns true.  Watching Elebelly grow into a healthy, strong-willed young lady has given me purpose to be a good example for her.  What a disservice I would be doing to her if I didn't start caring more for my body inside and out.

Contentment is in the eye of the beholder.  
What it means to me is different than what it will mean to Elebelly, you or anyone else.  Contentment to me is working at enjoying each day I have with Elebelly, learning from her, helping her creativity blossom.  It means having days like today to sit out on the patio watching her play, soaking up the sun and cool breezes.  It means having the opportunity to stay home while Elebelly is young; even if it means eating a little more Ramen than I'd like, staying in and not vacationing to exotic locales often.  I only have this opportunity with her once.  It means focusing on the good in people and holding onto what inspires me.  It means smiling and laughing daily.  

So as Elebelly approaches five things on the homefront are changing again.  It's kindergarten registration time.  It's a time for me as mommy to reflect on everything I've learned from her so far and appreciate all the time I've had with her so far.  It's a time for us to celebrate her life and all that she's brought to ours. 

post signature

4 comments:

Lora said...

I love this. There is nothing like these kids to help ground us and refocus on things we never knew we were missing, is there?

Teresa said...

Lora, thanks! I definitely feel lucky to have that little person reminding me what life is all about. Hope you're doing well!

Life with Kaishon said...

Isn't it amazing the way they change us in such great ways? I loved this post. It was filled to the brim with love.

I was just reading your sweet comment to the newest member of Philly Social Media Moms and I had to come over and say hi! I hope you can go to Disney World soon. I haven't taken my son yet and he is 11! We really should go this summer. : )

Teresa said...

It is amazing how becoming a parent and watching them grow can make us see what really matters. I try to remember this, but sometimes "life" gets in the way. I hope you get to Disney, too. It seems like it's one of those places each kid should see...it is pretty magical (although the last time I was there it was about 30 years ago :).

Custom Search